For Immediate Release
Katie Grey Walker, Communications Coordinator
ART BASE SHARES ORIGINAL ARTWORK WITH COMMUNITY
AS IT KICKS OFF SPRING FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN
Announces revamping of annual in-person, summer 2020 fundraising gala into
an online 10×10 Name Unseen Auction with smaller art salon gatherings
BASALT, Colo. – April 28, 2020 – While continuing programs online, this spring the Art Base (TAB) has been focused on helping one another and being creative about new ways to stay connected.
To foster community spirit during the pandemic, TAB is circulating original artwork – interpretations of rainbows, symbolic of serenity and hope – to disperse color, light and beauty into the community. Valley residents are asked to place these rainbows in windows, use them to write a letter, or share in other creative ways. (Attached for publication or printing.)
TAB has also announced a springtime goal to raise $100,000 in the next six weeks, spearheaded by an anonymous donation of $15,000, by a donor who hopes to inspire the support of others. Donations are gratefully accepted at www.theartbase.org
For the foreseeable future, TAB has suspended all in-person classes, exhibits and events, including its annual dinner for 250 people. The annual pARTy is being revamped to include an online 10×10 Name Unseen Auction, as well as small salon receptions to view the art in person.
Although doors are shut, the Art Base staff has been hard at work. As the seriousness of COVID-19 became clear, TAB acted early and proactively. Since March 13th, the organization has been providing daily art opportunities and positive community outreach.
– Distributed 565 (so far!) free Art Kits To-Go.
– Continued the Claudette Carter Art Mentorship to four students, ages 15-18, apprenticing one-on-one with working artists.
– Doubled free Art, Healing and Hope online classes for ages 15-65+.
– Continued free, twice monthly Middle School Art Funk classes for ages 10-14. Now online.
– Provided artistic outreach to community partners including Challenge Aspen, Valley Settlement, English in Action, and the three public schools in Basalt.
– Promoted local artists through online artist profiles and virtual art exhibits.
– Utilized social media almost daily to provide bilingual art prompts, resources, and inspiration to an audience of all ages and abilities.
The Art Base is a visual arts-focused nonprofit located in Basalt Colorado. Through education opportunities, exhibitions, and events they foster creative expression in the visual arts for all ages and abilities. Education programs are designed to be accessible to everyone and encourage creative expression and lifelong learning through arts workshops and outreach programs in partnership with local nonprofits and Basalt schools. Exhibitions support student, emerging, and established Colorado-based artists and are focused on solo show opportunities with an emphasis on artists living in the Roaring Fork Valley. www.theartbase.org